Go Back   The Dawn Experience > Welcome To The Dawn Experience Forums > The Poll Experience

The Poll Experience Forum dedicated to TDX polls. ONLY MEMBERS CAN VOTE IN THE POLLS. Members may submit a topic for a new poll here - subject to the approval of the administrator.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Sign O' The Times song?
Sign O' The Times 10 7.81%
Play In The Sunshine 2 1.56%
Housequake 7 5.47%
The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker 6 4.69%
It 3 2.34%
Starfish And Coffee 10 7.81%
Slow Love 2 1.56%
Hot Thing 1 0.78%
Forever In My Life 16 12.50%
U Got The Look 2 1.56%
If I Was Your Girlfriend 28 21.88%
Strange Relationship 6 4.69%
I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man 10 7.81%
The Cross 6 4.69%
It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night 4 3.13%
Adore 15 11.72%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Re: Prince's Sign O' The Times - DISCUSS!!!
Old 8th June 2009   #31
HotAirBalloon
Banned

HotAirBalloon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
^ not sure whether to tell you off for ignoring Prince's greatest album or be envious that you have it all still to look forward too.
The greatest? Well the album is fantastic but Prince has done greater records through-out the time. But I guess I can agree with you that I can't ignore such a wonderful LP.

Old 8th June 2009   #32
Shy1105
Funky Experienced Member

Shy1105 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
^ not sure whether to tell you off for ignoring Prince's greatest album or be envious that you have it all still to look forward too.
Lol. Ignore is bit strong; I've heard it a few times on vinyl.. but yeah

On an unrelated note, are other people a bit grossed out by some of the smilies?

Old 11th September 2009   #33
thepurpleexperience
Super Funky Experienced Member

thepurpleexperience will become famous soon enough

just love the hippy outlook on this trak care free and happy

Old 11th September 2009   #34
Shy1105
Funky Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepurpleexperience View Post
just love the hippy outlook on this trak care free and happy
What song?

Old 11th September 2009   #35
HotAirBalloon
Banned

I will dance my ass to Hot Thing all night if I have to. It's a tight song.

Old 11th September 2009   #36
Funk
Ultimate Experienced Member

Funk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinrepatition View Post
yeah!...same here the writing would wear off and you wouldn't know which side was which,not that it mattered tho...
Hey!... they played Lolita in my local TKMax yesterday....oops Prince gonna take them to court now!...me and my big mouth
OMG, I remember the words wearing off my Sign O the Times, and the same for Lovesexy and PR. We were in TKMaxx a week or so back, and they played Controversy. just as we were paying, naturally I had to stop and wait for it to end. What a sad fcuker...

Old 11th September 2009   #37
Shy1105
Funky Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk View Post
OMG, I remember the words wearing off my Sign O the Times, and the same for Lovesexy and PR. We were in TKMaxx a week or so back, and they played Controversy. just as we were paying, naturally I had to stop and wait for it to end. What a sad fcuker...
LOL. That is an awesomely epic song. To the signature changer I go..

Old 11th September 2009   #38
joyinrepatition
Super Moderator

joyinrepatition is on a distinguished road

Quote:
you and me both my friend....all we want is the recognition as a fan we deserve....

Old 11th September 2009   #39
swanny

swanny is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Great little story mate. I would have stayed in the shop too. How sad. lol

Old 11th September 2009   #40
joyinrepatition
Super Moderator

joyinrepatition is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAirBalloon View Post
I will dance my ass to Hot Thing all night if I have to. It's a tight song.
yeah!...like in that circlely suit we all wished we could wear.....

Old 12th September 2009   #41
unique

unique is on a distinguished road

i skipped school to buy this LP on the day of release. it's still one of my favourites. it's too hard to pick a favourite song, it changes over the years

dorothy parker and strange relationship are cool, and sign o the times somehow hasn't dated musically or lyrically. the whole album is kinda timeless like songs in the key of life or the white album

Old 12th September 2009   #42
HotAirBalloon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by unique View Post
i skipped school to buy this lp
Worth it, right?!

Old 13th June 2010   #43
scragglehead
Experienced Member

scragglehead is on a distinguished road

Chose "I Could Never Take The Play Of Your Man" just for the joy it brings me and for the audacity of the one-man-jam in the song. Used to be an album that I was sick to death of playing, but returning to it much much more recently.

Old 26th January 2013   #44
Purplekiwi
Newbie Member

Purplekiwi is on a distinguished road

I chose Adore as it's my favourite track and my second favourite Prince song of all time (The first is an unreleased track from the Purple Rain era). It has everything, some amazing vocals, lyrics and Prince is being the lover man again. The lyrics and melody elevate, but now I will discuss the rest of it briefly.

But I love the whole album. Sign has no filler at all and it is just so clever. The styles that Prince covers in the 16 tracks is impressive enough, but makes them all into his own style. The title track is the doom laden pop song, which is very clever and includes his penchant for strange lyrics, but it has a story telling quality that makes you sit and listen and drum band part is so cool too.

Play in the Sunshine is happy, happy pop music and it really makes acontrast to the first song. I love and his quirky lyrics. Housequake is pure ass shaking funk and its just too cool for words, Camille trying to be James Brown and it came out a lot of his Madhouse type sessions and I love "Shut ups"
Dorothy Parker is a quirky song with some great great lyrics, very clever and yet still catachy. In these four songs already, he's moved from Morose pop to happy dance music, grinding funk and now new age.

It is the only less great song on the album, its not bad, just very okay, still the carnal side of it is pretty cool, for those of u who were missing it, its good old fashioned Prince raunch, where even the wallpaper may have to shun his amorous advances. Starfish and Coffee is another of my favourites, again its the metaphors that bring it too life and just for extra power he throws in the catchy pop chorus a la George Clinton "If u set ur mind free baby, maybe you'll understand". That moves it from kind of great to totally memorable.

Slow love is awright, its a great song but pales next to some of the monster trax on this album, the race car driver allegory is pretty cool. Hot thing is sexy dance music and like Housequake a great ass shaking track, yet more subtle, again Prince is blinded by lust and awe in the lyrics. Forever in my life is one of the finest songs hes made (Its in my Top 20), he sings it with conviction, great melody and sound, yet its all about God not a girl, still a mesmerising track. This album is pure genius in every song.

Moving onto the second record, U got the look is pretty good, a bit poppy for the project but again its got uber catchy lyrics and the song is full of hooks which is why it was a huge hit and reinvigorated the album after the If I was your girlfriend flop. Sheena Easton is okay, but nothing amazing

Why that song flopped was beyond, maybe its too sophisticated, but again the song is epic. Prince is the partner so besotted with his quarry he's willing to relate to her on a feminine level just to get with her, again the quirky and sexual lyrics along with the sound effects and campy Camille falsetto elevate the song into the pantheon of incredible songs. The coy sarcasm "Not that ur helpless, but thats what being in love's about" and nasty sexual stuff "I'll drink it down there, where it comes". It also has the best lyric ever in a Prince song "Would u run 2 me if somebody hurt u, even if that somebody was ..ME" After Adore, its my second favourite track and as I can see, many others favourite, Adore just beats it for the Niagara of backing tracks in it and some of the lyrics and the bridge in that song.

Strange Relationship also carries on the uncertain relationship of the former, this time he's not trying be her sister but talking about how they are dominating each other, fighting and then fxxking, its a messed up relationship and they need help as he hates when she's happy and also when she's sad, maybe if she was indifferent all the time?, but again a great great song. Theres an earlier version off Dream factory that has some middle eastern instruments and a sitar opening at the start, thats even better as well. Both of these songs are basically inspired by Susannah Melvoin, Prince's unattainable goddess, she loved him but would not put up with all the control and bullshit that came with being a Prince girl (Thats another topic). Others like Big Tall Wall and Empty Room sum it up pretty well and we know where these two songs (If I was ur girlfriend and Strange Relationship) come from.

The next track with that really long name, is kind of good too, again he's telling a girl he wants a quickie not commitment, the type of behaviour that scared Susannah off, still the funk and guitar breakdown in the middle makes it great. The Cross is fine Christian rock and the building chorus is also great, it builds and builds and its like the heavens burst open.

Its gonna a be a beautiful night is also great, with the Camille singing, band solos and Sheila E's rapping, but still I think its too long and imagine if they put All fo my dreams or Crystal Ball in its place it would be better.

Well thats my fullsome discussion. Feel free 2 critique or praise it. Marking the album is easy. I give It, Slow Love, Its gonna be a beautiful night, Hot Thing all 9/10 and the rest gets 10/10 except Adore which I give 17/10

But I also really love this album for the period its from, the versions of Dream Factory and Crystal ball that circulate just show they could have made this near perfect album even better with some of the tracks that did not go on. I mean songs like Train, Witness for the Prosecution, All of my dreams, The sex of it, Crystal Ball, Big Tall Wall, Empty Room, Adonis and Bathsheba, A Place in Heaven, Rebirth of the Flesh and Crucial. Wow would that be an amazing album set.